Sunday, March 26, 2017

Major Project Blog II: Introduction to Sewing

I finally got the opportunity to start learning how to sew. To start things off I decided to start off with learning about the most basic sewing technique, the straight stitch, or a single and short embroidery stitch. I decided to turn to Youtube to learn the basics of the straight stitch. After reviewing the video I asked Samantha, who is my critical friend for the project, how I should start my project. Sam came to the conclusion that sewing a mini pillow together would be a great hands on experience for a first timer. 
Supplies for the pillow

Lucky for me Sam has enough crafting supplies to open a mini Jo-Ann Fabrics store stashed away in one of our closets. She supplied me with felt fabric, polyester fiberfill (I call it stuffing), a needle, thread, and some sewing pins. She decided to start me off with felt because it's an easier fabric to sew and she gave me a larger needle so I could thread it easier. The pins are there to help hold the fabric in place as I sew.
Threading the needle and straight stitch sewing

Straight stitch shown before the flip
Towards the end of the sewing Sam noted that I should leave a part of the fabric open for the stuffing and so that I can flip the fabric inside out. She said that this is common because the stitching won't show. She also tipped me off with the thought that you don't want to keep the fabric too open because it will be a pain to sew the pillow closed when the stuffing is inside.
Sam demonstrating the ladder stitch
Sam taught me another sewing technique to close the pillow without the stitches showing. This technique is known as the ladder stitch. The ladder stitch (often referred to as the hidden, slip, or blind stitch) is a technique that is mostly used on dolls and stuffed animals. Steps on how to sew using the ladder stitch technique can be found here.


In my first major project blog I noted that one of the benefits of sewing was that it can help you focus better. I bring this up because I have a history of finding it difficult to focus on one thing at a time. This often leads me to straying away from whatever my current task may be.When it came to sewing the pillow I can say that I was definitely focused on it without hardly any distractions affecting me. Maybe it was because I wanted to be extra careful so I didn't accidentally poke myself with needle. I hope that my focus when sewing continues and that it could eventually lead to an improvement of me being able to focus outside of it. Despite what I believe is a very poor stitching technique I have to say that sewing the pillow was an entertaining experience and I am looking forward to doing more!
Final Product

No comments:

Post a Comment