Friday, April 21, 2017

Major Project Blog IV: The One Before the Machine

Straight Stitch
I have already began practicing how to sew with the sewing machine. Before blogging about my experiences with it I wanted to first sum up my experiences with hand sewing. I learned how to do 3 different types of stitching techniques. The three I learned are: the straight stitch, the ladder stitch, and the back stitch. In my last blog I mentioned that I would be practicing a back stitch. Sew4Home provides some great information on hand sewing techniques. The straight stitch does what sewing machines do. It is also a good technique to use in smaller spaces where a machine may not be able to reach. The ladder stitch, which some people see as the most useful type of hand stitch, is used to create invisible seams (used on stuffed animals and pillows). The back stitch helps create a strong seam, and is often used on dense fabrics or to repair seams.

Before getting started I watched a tutorial about how to sew using
Canvas fabric
the back stitch technique. I don't think that this technique is difficult, but it does take more time to do than a straight stitch. In the tutorial it is mentioned that the key to a nice looking back stitch is to keep the stitch length consistent. The material I used to practicing this is canvas. This material is actually easier to pierce with the needle compared to the fleece and felt materials. I've also become more comfortable sewing with a thinner needle. As mentioned before thinner needles are harder to use but pierces through materials easier than larger ones. The video identifies two types of methods when sewing, scoop and stab. For this stitch I used the stab method. This method takes a little longer to do compared to the scoop.
Back stitch practice
Curves are hard to sew


   Hand stitching has proven to be quite entertaining. I'm glad that I made the decision to hand sew before I start working with a sewing machine. At least with the sewing machine I won't have to worry about poking myself with the needle as much. So far sewing with the machine has been just as enjoyable as hand sewing. I'm looking forward to doing more with it.

1 comment: