Monday, April 24, 2017

Major Project Blog VI: The One With the T-Shirt

The shirt used for the pattern
The shirt

I finally got to sewing together my first t-shirt. To get started I looked around online for patterns and decided to use this pattern. In the pictures you can see that I used one of my shirts as the base for cutting out the pattern. Sam thought that using fleece would be a good idea because it does a good job of staying put whereas other fabrics like to move around. She also forgot to mention that the fabric doesn't really stretch, so the shirt is a little tight on me. It's not pictured but when cutting out the fabric the shirt would lay inside out. The reason for this is because the seams lay flatter when shirt is inside out. If you look in the pictures you will notice that the fabric is wider than the shirt that's being used for the pattern. This is because of seam allowance. Seam allowance is the area between the edge and the stitching line on two separate pieces of fabric or material that are being stitched together. The reasoning for this is because the material gets tighter when you stitch it. 

The sleeves
 The video that shows me working on the shirt can be found here. There were some off screen adjustments. When sewing the sleeves I accidentally sewed a part of the shirt that I shouldn't have. The sleeves are pretty hard to do (curves are STILL hard to sew). Luckily I had Sam there to help me out and fix my mistake. After the shirt and sleeves were together, Sam told me that I don't need to worry about hemming the shirt since the fabric used doesn't fray. I found the project pretty tough to do, but I think that it was an interesting challenge. I really enjoyed working with sewing and I plan on continuing to do so after this course is over. I'm excited to be able to help Sam with some of the cosplay, but I think that I will leave the more difficult cosplay crafts to her.

The finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment